Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ramblings

4 am and I am not sleepy. Nothing new. But nothing great either. I have to be up in a few hrs to take a godforsaken test. Thankfully im quite well prepared.

Anyway, I went out on my usual walk and like always the night sky left me mesmerised. I don't remember my when my fascination with stars started. I think it is pretty recent. I was never one of those who appreciated nature till I came to the US. Maybe I just didn't have the time. The moon ofcourse is something I have always liked. I remember going for walks on the terrace in Hyderabad on full moon nights; it's reflection on the Husain Sagar is truly something to behold. But stars are something i never really paid attention to.

I think it all started a couple of months back after I discovered a secluded bit of land less than 5 minutes from here. I know sitting in a dark, deserted place, cut off from the world, thinking to myself, listening to music, doing as I please, doesnt sound like the healthiest thing I have ever done, but I really find a weird kind of peace there. With myself and everything around me. And it is there that I really started appreciating the beauty of the stars. Till then I had considered myself to be someone with a more conventional sense of beauty with a bias towards the symmetric. The Human Body, the finest aircraft, the (vastly overrated yet aesthetic) Taj Mahal all have one common, uniting factor : Symmetry. But then thats the beauty of the night sky; it defies all the conventional norms of beauty and yet might be more beautiful than anything that complies. Maybe thats the nature of beauty itself. Its just abstract. And I thinkit is something which like so many other things that changes entirely based on perspective. Uff, where am I going with this anyway.

Enough of the boring talk. Who am I kidding : I can't stay serious for more than 10 mins at a stretch.

I am just going through a list of movies on ToI.com which they call "25 Must See Bollywood Films fo any Bollywood Lover". Obviously I have watched them all but I thought it would be fun to draw up a little chart listing if I have watched a given movie on the list, the number of times i've watched it, the number of times I had watched it in India and the number of times I have watched it in the last 2 yrs. (ya, as runki would say : I've got major lack :p)


Name/comment

# of times watched

# of times watched in India

#of times watched in the US

Black (2005) (Loved it)

2

Nil

2

Lagaan (2001) (Overrated)

3

2

1

Satya (1998) (good gangster flick)

1

Nil

1

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) (uff.. my sister loves this..)

~15

All

-

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988)

1

Nil

1

Mr. India (1987)

3

2

1

Jane Bhi Do Yaaron (1983) (love the penultimte scene..)

3

Nil

3

Arth (1982) (How come..)

Nil

Nil

Nil

Deewaar (1975) (Mere pass Ma Hai! :-p)

~6

~4

2

Sholay (1975) (Itna sannata Kyun hai bhai?)

~15

~10

~5

Bobby (1973) (Typical..)

2

1

1

Garam Hawa (1973) (Why I havent I heard of this one..)

Nil

Nil

Nil

Pakeezah (1972) (Raj Kumar with a foot fetish :-p)

2

2

Nil :-(

Anand (1970) (OK I'm ashamed)

Nil :'(

Nil

Nil

Padosan (1968) (Ek chatur naar! Oh love this one..)

~5

~1

4

TeesriManzil (1966) (Real good murder mystery complete with an Elvis-like Shammi Kapoor)

1

Nil

1

Guide (1965) (classic)

1

1

Nil


Sahib Biwi aur Ghulam (1962) (No idea..)

Nil

Nil

Nil

Mughal-e-Azam (1960) (Jab pyar kiya to darna kya ;) )

1

1

Nil

Pyaasa (1957) (I've heard so much and yet not been able to get hold of a vid)

Nil

Nil

Nil

Mother India (1957) (Oscar nominated man..)

2

2

Nil

Do Aankhen Barah Haath (1957)

Nil

Nil

Nil


Devdas (1955 )

Nil

Nil

Nil

Do Bigha Zameen (1953)

Nil

Nil

Nil

Awara ( 1951)

Nil

Nil

Nil



Hmm.. that showed some surprising results. I've watched just 16 of the 25. I don't watch too many movies after all! Or maybe I just watch too much crap :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home